While that is a monumental task and probably too big for any one of us, there's no reason to do nothing. There are things that we could do to reduce the violence in the world. The only thing stopping us from moving forward on these things is our willingness.
Let's take a first step. Here are some ideas:
- Reduce violence: let's not put anymore guns in move ads. Ever.
- Reduce violence: for every movie death, show the funeral (this is not my idea but I don't remember who proposed it -- I do think it would reduce the shootings in films)
- Reduce violence: no more pre-emptive attacks. Ever.
- Reduce violence: make weapons the only thing that's forbidden to cross borders.
- Reduce violence: teach a balanced view of history.
That's a start. What ideas do you have?
-- Douglas Brent Smith