Did Milgram get it wrong?
This video raises some intriguing questions that are relevant to our studies of high performance leadership. It raises issues around obedience, control, leadership, followership, context, and even evil.
Watch the video (17:49) and then reflect on the questions below.
Reflection and Discussion Questions:
- What meaning regarding obedience have people commonly concluded based on Milgram's research?
- What are the factors in play that effect the participant's willingness to continue with the experiment, even though it appeared to be inflicting pain?
- How did the context of the experiment effect the outcomes?
- What additional information was mentioned in the video that we don't usually hear about when it comes to this famous experiment?
- What is the surprising conclusion to this research when examined thru the lens of this talk?
- Given the circumstances as you understand them, would you have continued to administer the shocks past the point of safety?
- How did the subjects react when given direct orders?
- What does this tell you about the nature of influence and leadership?
- Could this knowledge be used for both noble and for evil intent? How do you respond to that?
- As a leader, what use can you make of this information?