Companies sometimes post their espoused values. Do they really live by them? It depends on the company. It's worth asking questions, with curiosity, to see if they really do live by those values. Questions like:
- what does integrity mean to you?
- how do you create an environment of development and support?
- how do you make sure that equal opportunity is an active part of your culture?
- how do you balance competition and cooperation in your company?
- can you give me an example of a time when your organization was tempted to do something that would have been good for profit but bad for people? what did you do?
Values sound great. Values sound uplifting and noble. It is important to make sure that they are real.
The problem with shared values is that they are so rarely shared.
Check to be sure.
-- doug smith